06 February 2008

kung hei fat choi!


Or happy year of the rat!


My zodiac forecast (Horse) for the year is pretty awful, much to my dismay. It basically says that anything that can go wrong will.

Horse Rating: "3 neutral and 9 unfavorable months.
Horse is the sign that fares least well in the year of the Rat."
Ew.

Horse Career: " Your difficult year will probably extend into your career as well. You will find that projects will become a bit more difficult and delays could be the norm."
Hm well this is probably going to be true. I have no delusions about the work I'm doing in Thailand to be easy. And the program directors I'm working with feel the need to remind me over & over again that business operates at a much... slower... pace... there. So I need to shed my New York impatience & refamiliarize myself with my island time upbringing.

Horse Health: "You may experience signs of decreased energy."
As long as it isn't dengue fever!

Horse Relationships: "Tough times at work will cause you to seek solitude. Relationships may cause you some distress, especially if your loved one is also of the Rat, Monkey or Dragon groups."
Well this is true every year.

Horse Wealth: "This is definitely not the time for risk-taking."
Um. Too late!

Ominous! But: "The trick will be to force yourself to rely more on your head than your heart. That is contrary to the Horse nature, so it won't be easy." Forced to use my head? Oh dear. But the whole point of this Thailand sabbatical was to use less of my head...


It also says that Horses are the nomads of the zodiac animals.

In other rat news, my friend sent me this recommendation on a new dish to try when I get to Thailand. Yum! From bbc.co.uk:

Thai fast food sellers are enjoying a boom in rat sales, as people learn to love the taste of the rodent.

While rat has long been eaten in Thailand's poorer northern regions, a growing number of the country's roadside vendors are now serving it up.

The rats are drowned and sold uncooked or ready to eat, with happy customers purchasing rat meat for as much as 150 baht ($4.82; £2.30) a kilogram.

"It's better than chicken," one customer told the AP news agency.

'Nothing can compete'

"It all depends what you like, but it's a normal meat like any other," added Thongyu Roruchit.

One rat seller, Sala Prompim, said that the hip and liver were the best cuts. "It's tastier than other meats - nothing can compete with rat," he added. Mr Prompim said he only used rats caught from rice fields, and not those found in towns or cities. "They are definitely clean," he said.

The animals are killed by drowning, before being skinned ready for cooking - poached, fried, grilled or baked.

Mr Prompim says he sells as much as 100kg of rat meat on some days.


No comments: