26 January 2008

bloodsport


There hasn't been much inner peace in my life these past few months. They've been tumultuous & some of the crappiest I've had in years. A lot of change. A lot of insomnia. So many valid reasons for making the decision to up & leave for Thailand, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

But I have my own brand of therapy, when shopping & spas & heavy drinking fail me. I kickbox. The type I do is far from the stuff of action movies, but I can fake it quite well. :) It's so physically demanding that I can't afford to let my mind wander to anything else, like how much bloody plane tickets cost for example, & other stresses befitting of my quarterlife crisis (am I still considered quarterlife? Probably not. God, how depressing). With kickboxing, I have to be mentally present there in that moment or risk falling over or getting whacked in the face. Better yet, I'm the one whacking people in the face that had the misfortune of crossing me that day. Only in my imagination, but it is immensely satisfying! All the anxiety, the inanity, the chaos, just melt away.

Luckily, I am headed for the kickboxing world capital. Muay Thai is also known as the Art of Eight Limbs, which refer to the 8 parts of the body that are used in sparring- 2 hands, 2 elbows, 2 shins, 2 knees. Amazing striking speed, high jumps & huge calves. Check this video with Thai legend Tony Jaa. It's a bit long, the action starts at around 4 minutes in. But there is a nice long dramatic lead-in to set up the fight, with the Slash-looking Western opponent taunting Tony with the universal "fuck you" sign & comical English jeers.

Can you picture me? Hahaha.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

kickboxing?? Awesome. remind me never to tease you again.