05 March 2008

no place like home


My fresh start begins by going back to my roots. A little over 5 days now that I've been back in Manila, after having been away for more than 3 years. I know it's not just the jetlag that's making this feel so surreal. So much has changed, yet at the same time, nothing at all. The beautifully familiar and comforting are in the details.

An ice cold San Mig Light in my hand (non-export quality). The dirty orange 20 peso bills. The lizards crawling over fluorescent lights snapping at mosquitoes. The lively chatter & chismisan everywhere. The "ma'am/sir"s. The bougainvilla hanging from the walls. From the moment I stepped off the plane, the smells & the humidity & the soothing Tagalog lilt hit me all at once with the force of a typhoon. My heart skipped a beat. I'm home.

1 comment:

Ines Cabarrus said...

Can you please update more!! :) hehehe